Trans-Minnesota Adventure Trail

TrailPreviewGPX TrackNotes
TMAT EastMapFileMost popular trail. Runs North-South along Minnesota’s eastern border
TMAT CentralMapFileRuns North-South through the middle of the state
TMAT 1BFileBranch off Eastern Route south of Red Wing to get you off the highway
TMAT Gunflint LoopFileBranch off from Eastern Route to explore Iron Range area and link to Canada
TMAT Canuck LoopFileBranch off from Eastern Route to explore Iron Range area and link to Canada
TMAT Foothills LoopFileBranch off from Central Route to explore Foothills and Paul Bunyan forests
TMAT LeSeuer LoopFileBranch off from Central Route

WARNING! The maps and instructions on this page should be used with caution.  Roads and trails change or close at a moments notice.  There is no guarantee that the maps are accurate, correct, safe, or at all helpful. You are completely responsible for your own safety while riding.  You are on your own! Obey all signs and markers! Motorcycle riding is inherently dangerous. The Minnesota Adventure Riders do not own or recommend these maps and roads, trails, etc.  Instead we simply provide links to maps and files others have created for convenience.

Frequently Asked Questions about the TMAT:

1. What do I need to legally ride Minnesota trails?

Check the Minnesota DNR page and latest OHV handbook for the latest info.  But as of 2012, you need a DNR trail sticker attached to your license plate in order to ride State Trails with a Dual-Sport / Adventure bike.  The official TMAT route has a short part within the St. Croix State Forest that uses a State Trail and also uses the Gandy Dancer State Trail. Both of these trails can easily be circumvented with county roads if needed.  If you plan to ride on either of these parts of the route you will need a DNR sticker. The MN DNR sells non-resident trail passes too.  But if you move to MN, then you have 30 days to pay up and get a MN DNR registration.  The MN DNR ATV/OHM Handbook isn’t clear on this, but this is the current policy. Feel free to contact a DNR licensing agent if you would like confirmation or you need to order a sticker.

2. I know of a great trail/road.  How do I get it posted on minneadv?

If you want to suggest a particular route get added to the official TMAT trail or listed on our site just use the Contact Us page on this site to send us more info.

3. Are there any fees or regulations I should be aware of in Minnesota?

See #1 above. Plus if you plan to park or camp in a state park you will need a state pass. Day passes are available at each park, or a yearly car or motorcycle (cheaper) pass can be purchased there also or from the Minnesota Bookstore (link is on map page).

If you follow the last track into Canada and back again you will also need a passport and photo ID.

4. Where can I sleep?

Use the Google maps to search for hotels where you want to stop. You can also camp for free in the Superior and Chippewa national forests. Just follow the “leave no trace” rule and don’t camp near a road. State park campgrounds usually require reservations. There are some campground icons on the official online map that point out some recommended sites.

The map also points out Coppen’s Resort in Canada at the end of the ride that is a recommended stop.

5. What bike should I ride?

That is a personal decision.  How about you answer that question yourself?:

6. What tires are required?

Again, another personal decision but please don’t strap on street tires if you plan to ride the whole trail. The southern part of the route is pavement and gravel so you can get buy without knobbies.  However, one you reach the St. Croix forest and keep heading north you will want at least a 50/50 on/off road DOT approved tire.

7. What should I pack?

That is up to you.  See the warning about “You are on your own!” above.  Here are some suggestions that are specific to this trail.  This is by no means a complete list:

– Bug Spray (something with DEET.  Like “Deepwoods Off!”)

– Odorless Shampoo / Soap / Deodorant.  (Bugs are attracted to perfume)

– GPS with Tracks from this site loaded. Extra batteries for it too!

– Printed highway maps.

– Printed forest maps.

– Passport and Photo ID (if going to Canada).

– First Aid Kit

– Cell Phone

– Personal Locator Device (SPOT or similar) Not required, but there are locations on the trail with no cell service.


– Toolkit (flats are likely on this trail, plan for them.)

– Extra drinking water

– High calorie snacks

8. What should I expect at the Canadian border crossing?

Wait times coming into Canada or going back into the U.S. can very from 5 mins to 2 hours depending on the time of year.  Be aware that a photo ID and passport are required.  Also be aware you cannot bring pistols/handguns or pepper spray into Canada.  (if you need bear deterrent for camping you can bring in one of the larger “official looking” cans of Bear Spray but no personal defense pocket stuff)

9. Where can I find riding buddies?

The largest Adventure riding discussion site on the internet is  The thread for discussing trips on the TMAT is here.  You can also subscribe to our email discussion listserver on the Contact Us page.

10. I don’t have a GPS. Can I still ride this trail?

If you don’t have a GPS and intend on riding the whole trail you are going to have to be very prepared and meticulous.  The northen half of the trail is full of unmarked forest roads, so written directions are almost useless.  We recommend you use the “Print Screen” button on your keyboard to copy map images from our site and paste them into a document that can then be printed and brought with. You can also buy paper maps (see maps page) from different sources and highlight the route on them.  If you are going to do this we highly recommend the maps from Sportsmans Connection All Outdoors Atlas & Field Guides .

Even though it may be possible to make the trip without a GPS we HIGHLY recommend you buy a budget GPS for the trip.  Check out for used models for sale in your area or Walmart.  You can pick up a basic model (like a Magellan Triton 400) for around a $100 new.  This will make you trip MUCH more enjoyable.

11. How much distance between gas stops?

This varies by which part of the trail you ride.  The GPX tracks do specify some gas stops to help you plan.

12. Where can I find ride reports from other riders?

13. You’re map is wrong!  I got lost!  I ran out of gas!  I got a flat and had to walk home! I hit a deer and mangled my bike and body! Mosquitos almost ate me alive! …and other complaints

See the warning at the top of the page.  We do not own the roads, trails, forests, etc. that make up the TMAT.  We also do not guarantee in any way the maps or information about the TMAT are correct.  We cannot provide for your safety or well being.  Anytime you get on your motorcycle you are taking a risk and that risk is your own.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: